Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Waiting it Out & Swallowing the Grudge

It was SO nice of Summit Plastics to finally check in with me today (6 days later) on how I'm doing.  Afterall, I was barely awake when they told me I still had cancer and then swiftly carted me off to the ER because I was short of breath, coughing uncontrollably and had low oxygen levels. I felt like they couldn't wait to get me out of there and get on with their gurney-runway of boob jobs for the vain, non-cancerous patients.  But hey, I'm sure they thought of me over Christmas.  Luckily, it's all good here...no bruising, no swelling, no pain.  I ask the nice lady, "You DID request to have a copy of my pathology results sent to my primary care physician, right?"  She replies, "I'm not sure if we did since your primary care physician is located out of town."  Ummm, ok...

{Where the f*** do I live?  It's not like we are trying to get Mary from Walnut Grove to Sleepy Eye!  I'm pretty sure my insurance would pay for the long distance call or fax to Angola.} 

It's obvious I'm dealing with some feelings of impatience and frustration here.  It's prudent at this point that I get over my grudge with God immediately and start praying-- fast and hard. This bitterness is ugly and un-Amy-like!  I'm not really feeling it, though, like I normally do when times are good.  But as luck has it and blessings follow, I get an email from a friend, Kathy, who is on vacation in Florida, but still finds the time to send a very timely email to me about prayer called 'How to Pray', by Robert Wells.  {My friend/fellow cancer battler/mentor professional blogger Hollye would call this a silver lining.} 

Here is an excerpt from "How to Pray":

Description:
Prayer unleashes God's power so that he is able to work in our behalf. Prayer opens the channels of God's blessing. Prayer is how God accomplishes the things that he wants to see happen in our lives, and in the lives of others. Prayer opens new doors of opportunity for God to move in. {So far, so good}

In Philippians 4:6 it says, Do not be anxious over anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving let your petitions be made known to God. Basically prayer is simply talking to God just like you would talk to your very best friend.  {uh, oh. when I talk to my best friends I use a lot of profanity. I need to work on that}

Why should we pray?
Prayer unleashes God's power so that he is able to work in our behalf. Prayer opens the channels of God's blessing. Prayer is how God accomplishes the things that he wants to see happen in our lives. Prayer opens new doors of opportunity for God to move. In fact you can view prayer like a door. You are on one side of a closed door and on the other side is God. But standing with God is all this incredible and unimaginable power. When you pray, it is you turning that doorknob and swinging that door wide open. For it is at that moment when all that power can step through that doorway and work for God's good, and for your good.
Since he respects our freedom of choice and free will, prayer enables him to step into our lives. God has limited his powers in our lives to the importance that we place on prayer. Prayer gives God the permission to do what he has been longing to do all the time. Even when we do not see anything significant occurring, God is still at work solving the problem. When there are apparently no answers, God is still is waiting for the proper time to give us the solution. {HURRY UP, I SAY!!!!}
 
Psalm 55:22 Throw every burden upon God.
Psalm 68:19 Blessed be Our God who daily carries the load for us.
Psalm 56:9 This I well know, that God is for me.

There are four basic steps involved in the proper way to pray.
1--Bring the problem to God's attention immediately. But always keep the problem God centered and not problem centered.
2--Supplication. The definition of supplication is---a very honest and clear confession that tells God that you need his help.
3--Then focus on God and not on the problem. Keep in mind that our prayers are always to be God centered.
4--Thanksgiving. You are thankful because you know the following about our great and mighty and glorious God.
  • That you can come to the Father with your problems anytime
  • That he is concerned about you
  • That he loves you
  • That he said that he would help you
  • That he will see you through this problem
  • That he has the power to solve this problem
  • That you trust him 100%
Whew!  That's only some of it, but it's helpful, huh?  I hope it's insightful for some of you out there.  We Catholics, especially, need a little help in this area, because we have a tendency to recite prayer after prayer without giving much thought to the meaning. 

Thank you, Kathy for this great email this morning!

8 comments:

Amy Smith Wheeler said...

Sorry that you are having trouble posting the comments. Not sure why it's glitchy but my friend Joey had trouble with people posting comments, too. I'm feeling the love though, people!

Katie Jones said...

Amen, Amy! And Amen to your friend. You are justified in your frustration. Feel the blanket of love and prayer surrounding you this day and in the days to come. My thoughts and prayers are with you constantly. You are a true warrior and we can all learn and grow from you. Just what you wanted right??? Godspeed. Know that you are cherished and we can all learn and be reminded of a lot from your message. Xoxo - Katie Jones
PS Cancer SUCKS! Kick its ass!

Shad said...

Amy...you are an amazing individual and I do not blame you for being frustrated with the medical aspect of your treatment. As a health care employee, I see stuff on a daily basis that makes me sick. Some people are in it for a job (only). Just know that there are many who do it to care for people and I hope you encounter more caring individuals than not. My prayers are with you, my friend, as a former cancer survivor / warrior myself. God bless!

Amy Smith Wheeler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy Smith Wheeler said...

Shad- My ER nurse, Eric, at Lutheran Hospital was the best nurse I've ever had. He offered to get me a beer and I'm positive he wasn't joking!

Julie Herman said...

Amy- stay strong. From experience with ugly cancer in my family, I can say that positive attitude and prayer DO make a difference, so keep it up! Always here if you need anything...
PS- to post i think you have to have an account. I clicked on follow the blog at upper right on your page and created a google account.

Joey Sue said...

Don't know where I read it, but one thing that sticks in my mind and I try to do when things really suck:
"Pray to be a strong person,not an easy path".
While I must admit I would love for your path to have MANY less bumps, I believe in your strength at whatever is coming your way, AND in the future good that is somewhere out there for you.

Jill Jamison said...

Amy, I just recently found out about what is going on. So sorry, I have been praying for you ever since. I have lost three family members to cancer and I hate it. I have seen so many people be affected by it. There are two things that I kept telling myself when I would see a family member go through it, to help me deal mentally. There is someone out there that has had a worst situation, and the fact that God never promised a life without suffering. He promised us salvation and that is basically all he promised. I think of the suffering of others and I beleive God settles things either here on Earth or in Heaven. For those that suffer in this life, I beleive he will comfort you and reward you in the next. So many questions for him, so many things that don't make sense or seem fair. Easy for me to hold onto those thoughts in that I have never battled cancer. Those thoughts help me deal mentally. I pray for your strength and peace. God bless you, Amy!