Saturday, December 31, 2011

Thank GOD I only have 2 boobs!

I had my consult with Dr. Y this morning.  He is the surgeon who performed my mastectomy last July.  Just to clarify, a lot of people thought I had a double-mastectomy the first time around- but I only had my left breast removed.  Even at that, many people thought having a mastectomy was overkill, because my diagnosis was non-invasive cancer (Ductal Carcinoma In Situ).  This time around, unfortunately, the lump found on my other breast is invasive.  According to Dr. Y, out of around 250 breast cancer patients he sees per year, only 1 or 2 have bi-lateral breast cancer at the same time.  It's very rare (I'm winning the wrong lottery!!).  He gave me the option of a lumpectomy or mastectomy, even though he said he already knew the answer I'd give him.  I consented to have the mastectomy- right side.  He examined my lymph nodes and he didn't feel anything suspicious.  Furthermore, my CT scan that I had at the ER last week did not show anything on my lymph nodes.  However, that doesn't tell the whole story, and until my sentinal node is biopsied during my mastectomy, we won't know if the cancer has spread into my lymphatic system.  If it has, they will remove MORE lymph nodes to see just how far it has spread.  If it has, then further treatment will be appropriate (chemotherapy, radiation...).  He expressed optimism that it's early stage, but of course, we won't know with any certainty until surgery.

Additionally, my CT scan showed there was an "incidental hypervascular lesion" found on my liver.  Dr. Y did not seem too concerned about this, but ordered an MRI (scheduled for Wed) to be on the safe side.  I've already had two people tell me that they are SURE this is just my Guinness spot!  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about this lesion, but either Dr. Y was only downplaying it to ease my already off-the-charts anxiety, or he is genuinely not too concerned about it- I'm not sure which.  We'll find out soon enough.  Folks, if it's my liver that is what's going to do me in, then I only have myself to blame!

There is also a little bit of concern with the fact Dr. S (my plastic surgeon) made an incision on my breast where there were cancer cells present (obviously, unbeknownst to him).  Also, Dr. Y said some real coordination will have to be made between the two of them because of where my tumor was and where the expander is going to be placed.  I guess there is an incision issue or something- I need some clarification on that.

I BEGGED Dr. Y to put me on the fast-track for surgery.  I told him that waiting six weeks the last time was agonizing.  He agreed that I shouldn't have to wait that long, but I'm at the mercy of Dr. S too, and coordinating the two of them is tricky.  Dr. Y and Dr. S are the best and I want them both on my team, so I guess I'll wait it out.  I should know surgery date by end of next week.

Then the nurse presented me with my "Hope in a Handbag" bag.  It's a big totebag full of "helpful" crap to get me through my mastectomy.   I told her "I ALREADY HAVE ONE FROM LAST TIME!"  OMG- I can't even believe this is happening again.  During the last 4 months, I did think about the fact that it'd really suck to find cancer in my other breast 10 years from now and have to go through this all over again.  Little did I know it'd be 6 MONTHS later, not 10 years. 

Physically, I'm the strongest I've been in my whole life, so bring it on, I'm ready.

Thanks for all of the prayers- they are working and I feel them! 

And as I told Dr. Y, Happy F'in New Year :)

10 comments:

Dawn said...

Amy- I am so sorry that this is happening to you. I haven't seen you in like a million years but please know that I am thinking about you and praying for a quick resolution to all of this. I love your honesty and wit. Thank you for sharing your story and please never forget that you have more support than you could ever imagine. Dawn Harrison-Ropp

Teresa Pyle said...

You are so brave! You are an inspiration!! I dealt with a small battle with oropharyngeal cancer, and have been doing well for 4 years since my surgery, with the exception of swallowing issues. I don't wish any form of cancer on anyone! May God bless you in your journey & give you the strength to continue your life at being such an awesome woman!!

sldornbush said...

Amy-you are a very strong women and I know you will pull through this and be even stronger (if that's possible). We send our prayers with you!

Unknown said...

Well for some reason my first post never posted so I will try again:). Amy, you have lots of friends and lots of people who want to be your friend (haha), they will keep you inspired from the serious side, I am BD and therefore I will try my damnedest to keep you smiling and to keep some sunshine flowing over your soul. Your one of the strongest badass women I know, well at least out of the women I know that can hang with Melissa. Wait, you actually kick her ass too!!!

Paul said...

It's been forever since I've seen you, but I saw your post on Facebook and followed to your blog. You always were a tough one - must be the short thing :) Anyway, I'm working at Victory Noll now, and I have a whole bunch of nuns at my disposal, so I'll get them working on your behalf. All the best. Keep up the good fight and know there are a lot of people out there for you. Hope we can stay in touch on FB.
-Paul Siegfried

Joey Sue said...

Now that's the Amy I know!

Rhonda72 said...

Good Lord, girl! I'm praying for you! You have made it thru a lot if crap and it isn't fair you have to do it again. You're gonna kick cancer's ass again and come out awesome. As a fellow survivor, I know some of what lies ahead for you, but wish you strength and perseverance thru the hard times. XO rhonda

Shad said...

Thanks for the update, Amy. I admire you for making the tough decisions you have had to make. Just know that there are so many people that love you and will be there for you to help you through these trying times. Prayers continuing for you daily...God bless!

Linda said...

Amy, you will be fine. You are a fighter and you live with "3" reasons to never give up. The drugs they have out there are amazing. So many people are praying for you (I've added your name to our Prayer Chain at Peace). Keep your chin up. Our prayers are with you.

Nancy Smith said...

I'm praying hard for you as are so many, so if you ever feel weak (rare I'm sure) we will be strong for you! God bless you and your doctors! Love from Cali! XO