Friday, January 6, 2012

Tore Up from the Liver Up

I have an update to report on my MRI that was performed on Wednesday.  Unfortunately, the MRI was inconclusive and it appears that the spot on my liver is an Adenoma, but because of my cancer 'history,' my doctor is ordering a PET Scan to rule out the possibility of malignancy.  Adenomas are benign tumors, and are rare in the liver, but are widely associated with the use of oral contraceptives over a long period of time.  {We might be on to something here}.  I was on oral contraceptives for about 15 years, off only when I was pregnant.  So this would make sense if diagnosed, but I am not going to self-diagnose when we really have limited information.  Adenoma on the liver, although considered benign, can still cause many problems and can even become malignant down the road, and would need addressed one way or another, if that is indeed the diagnosis. The optimist in me and "believer in things meant to be" wants to believe that I had breathing problems after my last surgery, so that I would need a CT scan at the ER, so that it showed I had a small lesion on my liver, so that my surgeon would investigate it further, so that we now know I have a potential liver problem caught early... (my keyboard to God's ear).  But enough on all the speculation....my PET scan is next Thursday, please PRAY for my sanity until then!

As it stands now, my mastectomy, right-side, and placement of expander has been scheduled for January 31 at Parkview Hospital- Main Campus in Fort Wayne. 

Hmm, let's find a silver lining (Hollye- you are at work, here)....well, my left reconstructed breast is fantastic!  I love the shape, size, and feel of it. It's a little bigger than my God-given size, but now it's in proportion to my God-given ASS.  With help from a friend, we have coined her 'KIM' and hopefully it won't be too long that 'KOURTNEY' joins her.

I don't want to make light of the situation, believe me, cancer SUCKS.  I'm anxious and forlorn and I'm really trying to stay positive, but it's really easy to let your mind wander down a dark path.  I appreciate and feel your prayers- please keep them coming! 

10 comments:

Amy Smith Wheeler said...

Again- sorry the comment box isn't working for so many of you! Stupid blogspot! If any of you have blogged on this and have any suggestions on how to get it to work, let me know.

Julie Herman said...

All the waiting on info has to be rough- hang in there! Been thinking of you. Love the blog to keep us all informed...
PS- for those trying to post. The only way I figured out to post was to set up a google account (click on the drop down list by comment as- I chose google acct then it walked me though signing up for acct). Now i can type a post, choose the google on the drop down to post, it pops up to log in then you can publish post....

Shad said...

Smitty...you're breaking my heart! However, I do love the names you have chosen for your boobs and I am praying daily that this horrible nightmare will end soon. Your honesty and sense of humor are uplifting and I understand that you have to have a sense of humor to get through these intimidating times. As always...anything you need, call a friend! God bless!

Amy Smith Wheeler said...

I messed around with the settings and I think I fixed the problem. Thanks, everyone for the encouragement!

Susie Tyler Felts said...

Amy, I've tried on several different occasions to make this work....don't know if you've gotten any of them. Even though it's very very hard, try to keep up the positive attitude. Praying for you on this end! Love your names(KIM and KOURTNEY)you've picked out!

Molly Mulrooney Wade said...

Amy- I just started following your blog over Christmas vacation and I have to write... you are being so courageous, so strong, so positive in teh face of this all. I mean it when you say that just reading your story has made me reflect more deeply on my own life and "complaints". I am so sorry that this has come into your life. However, I have to chuckle that if Cancer thinks it can take YOU down... it has yet to really meet Amy Smith. Even after all these years, I can still hear your upbeat voice and see your smile through your cyber words. Keep up your strength and I have you added at the top of my prayer list. You are amazing.

sldornbush said...

Perfect names for "the boobs"! So glad to hear you staying in good spirits through your journey. Your in my thoughts and prayers everyday!

Mrs. Stock said...

Great names!! We are thinking of you and keeping you in our prayers. I am sure the watiting is driving you crazy, but I think your positive attitude and energy is amazing!
Melyssa & Todd

Gina said...

OMG...I'm the worst CHRP sister ever. I didn't even know you had cancer the 1st time. After every thing in your life you have been through do you think cancer is what is going to take you dow?!?! I think not!! I totally love the fact that you set up this blog so you could be YOU and keep everyone updated on your journey. You have always been in my prayers and will contiue to be just asking God for different blessings for you and your family. If you don't mind me asking how are you kids dealing with all of this? I'm sure they are doing wonderful because they have such a great positive example for a mom! I'm praying your PET scan comes out negative (or nothing new shows up)! Continue to be you and take good care of you. And as you already know, but if you need anything all you have to do is say the word!! Love ya girl!!

Kimmie said...

Hey Amy, my name is Kim and my husband Jaime is one of the warriors on DWBH..just wanted you to know that you are in my prayers and I can so relate with the oncologist thing..we just lost ours for the second time..