Monday, January 16, 2012

Confessions from a PET Scan Recliner & Arrest of Oncologist

Thanks, everyone for all the emails, texts, in-box messages, cards, and prayers!  On a daily basis I am in awe of the inspiration and love pouring in from everywhere.  What did I do to deserve all the love?!  I can't wait to pay it all forward when I'm back on track.

Last Thursday was the big PET Scan.  Hopefully, you'll never have circumstances that lead you to needing one, but if you do, it's really very mundane.  First, the tech takes you into a room, has you sit in a recliner, and hooks you up to an IV.  Then a person practically dressed in HAZMAT gear injects the radioactive dye into the IV (comforting!).  For 50 minutes you have to sit still in the recliner to let the FDG (glucose tracer) go through your body.  There is to be no moving around or getting up, or even reading.  In fact, the tech said most people sleep.  One would think with the lack of sleep I got the night before, this would be a welcome blessing, but unfortunately, I cannot ever sleep unless I'm laying flat.  This combined with my 'adult ADD' and anxiety, I am going crazy in that recliner.  My mind starts racing, and the more I try to relax, the more anxious I become.  At one point I start crying and I need a tissue but I'm afraid to reach for the Kleenex box- what if I'm moving too much?!  I can hear my phone buzzing but I don't dare reach for that either.  With about 5 minutes left, I notice there is a camera in the room- hahaha- I'm sure all that was all very attractive!  Finally, the tech takes you into the room for the test.  It's similar to an MRI machine but it's quiet and there is no holding your breath or instructions given, it just takes pictures. So the minute they strapped me onto that table I was OUT COLD.  Laying flat = half-hour nap = silver lining!

At 1:30 that afternoon, Dr. Y's nurse called me at work and she was very excited to tell me that my scan came back clear on my liver.  No FDG uptake was detected where the spot was located.  I called my Mom right away and yelled out of my office to everyone that the test came back clear.  Pretty sure I've never felt relief like that ever.  I was so excited that I didn't have Stage 4 cancer, that I forgot I had cancer at all!

Time to talk about the arrest of my Oncologist, Dr. Whalen.  He was arrested last week after leading police on a high-speed chase on I-69 in Fort Wayne.  He was found to be extremely incoherent, tried to resist officers, and was taken to the hospital because of his seemingly crazy behavior.  Blood tests found him to be under the influence of meth, marijuana, and amphetamines. 

{I've re-written this paragraph 4 times now.}  I've decided that I'm not going to go into detail on this blog about my one appointment with him.  This man obviously has some serious problems and I hope he gets the help he needs.  I had one appointment with Dr. Whalen back in early August shortly after my mastectomy.  Let's just say he did not conduct himself in a professional manner and I left the appointment very weirded out to say the least.  When I had a medication issue in December, I saw a different Oncologist.  I am shopping Oncologists and have already received some referrals- thanks!

"Kim" update to report:  When I shaved my left armpit today, I could feel it!  I just assumed there would never be feeling there because a lot of time has passed since my July mastectomy.  Ticklish again!

SPORTS DIGRESSION:  Hey, Packer Fans....we Colts fans know exactly how you feel.  How many times did the Colts go throught the regular season losing 1 or 2 games, only to get beat by (usually) New England?  Too many times!!!  Underachievement sucks!!!

2 comments:

Amy Smith Wheeler said...

Feel free to email me at amymariesmith93@gmail.com if you are still having problems leaving comments.

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear about your PET scan results, and your doctor. I don't know why but I am always amazed when I hear of educated professionals getting involved in these types of situations. Keep your head up. You are truly one of the bravest and most amazing women I know. You continue to be in my prayers.