Thursday, February 2, 2012

Mastectomy, Part Deux

How about the irony that I'm writing this blog entry on Groundhog's Day?  Next verse, same as the first!  Kinda.  AND, I flipped through the movie channels this morning, and guess what was on?  SOUL SURFER!  (insert Twilight Zone music here)

Admittedly, I'm under the influence of pain meds right now, so hopefully I make sense.  This surgery site is much more painful than what I experienced with my other mastectomy last July.  The reason?  Dr. Y had to cut deeper into my pectoral muscle because he needed a wider safety margin.  It hurts to move and breathe.  Pain meds haven't really helped- they just make me sleepy.  I did switch pain meds this morning, so we'll see how that goes. 

The good news:  my Sentinal Node was tested during surgery and came back negative!  But when the node is tested during surgery they only take a couple of sections because of time constraints.  The node will be looked at more intensely at Pathology along with a lot of breast tissue that Dr. Y took out.  The final report will be done by next week.  Dr. Y says "rarely" does the pathology come back positive after testing negative in surgery, but "rarely" certainly doesn't apply to me, right?  So until next week, I won't rest easy quite yet.

Having suffered a lot of nausea after my last mastectomy, the anesthesiologist ordered a Scopolamine patch for me at my reconstruction surgery, and for this surgery too.  It worked for the nausea! YAY!  However, I can't see up close!  Both times I've had to wear my Mom's reading glasses to use my phone and laptop for about 72 hours after surgery.  {I'd like to know if any of you have suffered blurry vision from the Scopolamine patch}. Just to cover the bases, they did order Phenergen for nausea in the hospital so I could sleep. WOW, that stuff made me extremely woozy, I couldn't even form a sentence. My friend Joey, who spent the night with me at the hospital said I was hilarious-  I guess at one point when they asked me for my name and birthday, I gave them my address, then my social security number.  I couldn't come up with my birthday.  I have no recollection of any of that!

While I'm on the topic of my hospital stay, I want to give a huge shout-out to my friend Joey (Westfall) McGill, who spent the day and night with me at the hospital both times.  It gave me such comfort having her there.  Thanks so much, Jo!!!  Your positive outlook, faith, and sense of humor got me through the hospital stays.  And my rockstar Mom and my Aunt Sharon are taking such good care of me too, and I'm sure I'm not the easiest patient in the world.

Many have asked about how the kids are doing.  I may have the world's most amazing kids!  They are age 12, 11, and 11 for those who don't know them.  They are definitely worried about me, I can tell, and seeing me in pain is a little freaky for them, because I'm their rock.  Keeping the lines of communication open is the key- I encourage them to talk to me and I'm honest and up front with them always.  They will be better for all of this someday. 

Again, if you wish to email me because the comment box doesn't work, you can do so at amymariesmith93@gmail.com .   Also, follow me on Twitter at @amysmith70.  I love hearing from everyone! EVERYONE!

2 comments:

Joey Sue said...

Can't wait to have you healthy and beyond this. You are so strong and the kids will not only be OK, but also strong, positive adults because of your attitude.
Hang in there. This time, you really ARE in the home stretch.

Susie Tyler Felts said...

Amy, you never fail to amaze me. What a rock solid lovely person, inside and out. Who would have thought this would happen to you....God only chooses those who can handle it though it's not something anyone wants to have happen. You have strong parents who love you dearly and many many more friends. Give Jeanne and Larry my best and you hang in there. I'm still praying for a total recovery!